Friday, June 19, 2009

Bed Rest- Day 3

Today started off good, my mom woke up and made gluten-free pumpkin waffles.  They were delicious!  GF cooking is a new adventure for my mom and she did great!  In late morning Leah had piano lessons and her darling teacher came and picked her up.  

Here's where it gets weird: Grayson was acting tired while Leah was gone so my mom put him down for a nap.  He didn't fall asleep after about 30 minutes so I told her maybe he just wasn't sleepy enough and to get him up.  After this little "nap" he wouldn't put weight on his left foot!  He was really whiny too, like it was hurting him!  Right when he got up I was in the recliner eating my lunch and he just wanted me to get up and carry him around.  My mom tried to help him by picking him up and rubbing his foot, but he mostly just wanted me to get up.  Poor little guy!  When he finally decided to sit with my mom and watch some TV he fell asleep.

After he woke up the whole debacle replayed itself.  Actually, I was in my room resting this time and my mom brought him to me because he wouldn't stop whining.  He still wouldn't support his weight so he just kept wanting me to get up and carry him around.  Obviously I didn't.  I'm even really protective of my belly now.  I don't want my kids sitting on my chair and bumping my tummy, maybe it's overkill but I REALLY don't want to go to the hospital again.  Anyways, I'm not really sure what my mom wanted ME to do about it but she seemed really concerned.  I suggested she take him to Jeff's office and have him check him out, but she was still in her pajamas and said she still needed to shower so she didn't want to take him.  I just felt like he needed some extra attention and eventually the mystery "ache" would heal itself but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to give it to him :(  I think it was difficult for my mom to hold him as much as he wanted her too and give any attention to making dinner and/or the older kids.  Welcome to my world!!  I'm not really sure what I'm expected to do in a random situation like this, but I feel like I'm not supposed to go anywhere, let alone carry my 30 lb. 2 year-old to the doctor!  I told her Jeff would be able to help her when he got home.

It's interesting watching someone else take on my responsibilities.  If I wasn't on bed rest I'd be having to deal with this all by myself, 7 months pregnant.  Motherhood is not for the faint of heart!

**By the time Jeff got home from work at around 7:30pm Gray's foot seemed fine.  He was walking on it pretty normal and went to bed without complaint.


Katie said...

Ugh - That would be hard to watch someone else take over your responsibilites. Sometimes when Chad freaks out a little because one of the kids is going crazy while he is trying to do something, I think "Welcome to my world - ALL THE TIME!" and I get a little bit of secret, sick satisfaction out of it :). Shhh, don't tell him. Watching anyone else do it though would drive me nuts.

Christie said...

Right with Katie on the "Welcome to my world" thing. James went crazy just taking off a day and a half of work last week and today he wasn't feeling well but didn't say a word about staying home; I think he realized that it's often more peaceful in the security unit of a juvenile prison than at home with a 3 year old and an almost 2 year old. I've been on doctor's orders not to lift anything over 10 lbs since 16 weeks. Sometimes I just have to, but I try as hard as I can to avoid it.